The Monasteries of Fruška Gora
The Fruška Gora mountain range extends in the west – east direction covering the area of approximately 80 kilometers in length and 15 kilometers in width, from Slankamen to Ilok. For centuries, it has represented one of the largest focal points of Serbian literacy, literature, art and spiritual life.
Beočin Monastery with the Church of the Ascension ~ This is a female monastery which exact time of origin remains unknown. It is first mentioned in the Turkish census for the period of 1566-67. The monastery was demolished and deserted in the Austro-Turkish wars, only to be fully restored by the refugee monks from the Rača monastery in 1697-99. Monastery dormitories , built between 1728 and 1771 surround the church from the south and west. An extensive reconstruction of the monastery complex was carried out in 1893. During World War II the monastery was deserted but the buildings remained intact. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 25 km.
Monastery Divša (Đipša) with the church of St. Nicholas ~ Legend has it that the monastery was founded by despot Jovan Branković in the late 15th century. The first reliable data come from the late 16th century Turkish sources. During World War II the iconostasis was heavily damaged, dismantled and partially stolen. This female monastery has been populated and gradually resorted ever since the year 1980. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 54 km.
Monastery Grgeteg with the church of St. Nicholas ~ It is considered to be one of the oldest monasteries of Fruška Gora and it is certainly one of the most beautiful. Legend has it that Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk founded the monastery in 1470. The first reliable evidence date back to the 1545-46. The monastery was deserted before the Great Migration of the Serbs and subsequently renovated in 1708. By metropolitan Isaija Đaković. The monastery suffered extensive damage during World War ll. It has been gradually restored ever since 1953. This female monastery is currently undergoing preservation and conservation works. Nowadays, the nearest replica of the icon representing Virgin Mary with three hands is kept here. The original icon is the most famous and the most respected among the Serbian people. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 17 km.
Jazak Monastery with the church of Holy Trinity was founded in 1736. under the patronage of a group of people from Novi Sad, Baja, Osijek, Šid and Šašinci. The construction of the church lasted from 1736. to 1758. The relics of saint Anastasija of Rome, which were gifted to Prince Lazar following his visit to Mount Athos, are kept beneath the icon of the Holy Virgin framed in a massive throne. The temple also houses the relics of emperor Uroš The Weak, son of emperor Dušan The Mighty. The monastery dormitories, burned during the Second World War, have since been restored. The church of this female monastery remained intact. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 33 km.
Krušedol Monastery with its church dedicated to the Annunciation was founded in 1509 by Bishop Maksim (formerly Đorđe Branković) with the help of mother Angelina and Wallachian Duke Jovan Njagoj. The monastery did not suffer destruction during World War ll, but its abundant treasury was significantly devastated. The entire complex of this female monastery has been renovated. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 12 km.
Kuveždin Monastery with the church of St. Sava and Simeon Nemanja ~ According to legend, the founder of this monastery is Stefan Štiljanović. The first reliable information about the monastery originates from 1566-69. The baroque-style chapel in the monastery cemetery was built in 1788. Both the monastery and the church suffered devastating damage during World War ll. The iconostasis painted by Pavle Savić is now kept in the chapel in the cemetery. The church of this male monastery is still in ruins, but the monastery dormitories have been restored. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 51 km.
Mala Remeta Monastery (LIttle Remeta) with the church dedicated to the Shroud of the Virgin Mary ~ The creation of the monastery is credited to king Dragutin, who patronaged the Rača Monastery, but the first reliable information we have date from the mid 16th century Turkish documents. The refugee monks from the Rača Monastery restored it completely in the late 17th century. It is considered to be a female monastery and its distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 36 km.
Novo Hopovo Monastery (New Hopovo) with the church of St. Nicholas ~ The traditional belief that the monastery had been founded by despots from the house of Branković has never been confirmed and the first reliable mention in written sources dates from the year 1451. The present church was built in 1575-76. with a donation of a group of patrons. Hopovo church represents one of the largest and also, architecturally speaking, one of the most significant religious edifices of its time. During the Second World War the monastery was demolished, the iconostasis damaged, dismantled and all the removable parts were stolen. The monastery is male and its distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 23 km.
Petkovica Monastery with its church dedicated to St. Petka (Paraskeva the Serbian) ~ Legend has it that the monastery was founded by princess Jelena, the widow of Stevan Štiljanović. The first certain proof of existence dates from 1566-67. During the Second World War the church was abandoned and the remaining old icons stolen and destroyed. Conservation work is still underway in this female monastery. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 50 km.
Monastery Priva's Head (Privina Glava) with a church dedicated to the Archangels Michael and Gabriel ~ According to legend, the monastery was founded by Priba (Priva) in the 12th century and also bears his name. On the other hand, according to a more credible traditional belief, it was established in the late 15th century by the despots of Srem county, the house of Branković. The first reliable information about the monastery originates from 1566-67. The church with the monastery dormitories remained intact during WW ll, while its treasury and library had been pillaged and partially burned. Conservation works are still in progress. The monastery is female. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 68 km.
Monastery Rakovac with the church dedicated to Saints Cosmas and Damian ~ According to tradition, the monastery was founded by Raka Milošević-the great chamberlain of despot Jovan Branković and bears his name. Reliable data about the monastery originate only from 1545-48. Presumably, the monastery church was built in 1526. The monastery was destroyed in the Austro-Turkish wars in the late 17th century. The one-aisled cemetery chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built in 1751. This female monastery was severely damaged during the Second World War. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 20 km.
Ravanica Monastery with the church dedicated to the Ascension (formerly St. John the Baptist) ~ The exact time of origin is unknown. According to sources, the church was built in the second half of the 16th century. Reliable data about the monastery originate from 1566-69. The reconstruction carried out by the monks of the monastery Ravanica in Serbia (1697), restored the old stone church with wooden bell tower which now house the relics of prince Lazar, brought by the Ravanica monks fleeing Szentendre. Ever since then, the monastery is known as Ravanica. The monastery was spared in the WW ll, but the monastery dormitories were pillaged. The monastery is female. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 28 km.
Šišatovac Monastery with its church dedicated to the birth of the Virgin Mary ~ The monastery was formerly know as Remetica (Remetsko). The foundation of this monastery is attributed to the refugee monks from the Žiča monastery. They demolished the existing church of St. Nicholas (called Remetsko) and replaced it with a new one, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which they named Šišatovac. The most reliable data about the life and existence of the monastery come from the mid 16th century. The burial chapel, dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, carries a distinct baroque style and was built in the 1750. Both the monastery and its church were completely annihilated in WW ll. The monastery is male. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 49 km.
Staro Hopovo Monastery (Old Hopovo) with its church dedicated to St. Panteleimon ~ Legend has it that this monastery was founded by Đorđe Branković, the future bishop Maxim. Reliable testimonies about the origin of the monastery come from 1545-46. The iconostasis was damaged and dismantled during the Second World War. From the year 1955. All icons, save a few, are preserved and kept in the Regional Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 23 km.
Velika Remeta Monastery (Great Remeta) with the church dedicated to St. Dimitri ~ According to legend, the monastery is linked to king Dragutin, but has, most probably, originated in the late 15th – early 16th century. Records from 1562. register the monastery under the name of Velika Remeta. It has been rebuilt twice following its desolation during the WW ll. The monastery is male. The distance from Sremski Karlovci measures 11 km.
Copyright © 2013 - "Sobe Gajić" & A.M.A. Lalicic - All rights reserved - Design by Zox